Tuesday 1 May 2007

Je Porte Bonheur

The custom on May 1st is to offer people you like a stem of Lily of the Valley, Muguet des Bois.
It's supposed to bring good luck and happiness to the recipient that, hopefully, will last till the following May.
The supermarkets, garden centres, flower shops and roadside stands are full of all sorts of arrangements, some quite costly. I think this one is sweet. It's just three stems in a pot wrapped in paper with the words "je porte bonheur" (I bring good luck/happiness) on it.
This is for all of the DP-ers. May it bring you happiness!

7 comments:

Jilly said...

this is a superb photo of Lily of the Valley - well done. And good luck to you too. Very impressive photo.

alice said...

Thank you, Angela, I've had the same idea but for today!

Z said...

One of my favorite flowers, though I seem to have terrible luck trying to grow it. The scent is just heavenly.

Kate said...

Somehow I missed your May Day post. A little late but I have a gift for you here. Happy belated May Day!!

kuanyin333 said...

Why thank you very much, or as we say in Maui, "Mahalo Nui Loa!" And the same to you!

Ming the Merciless said...

Here's wishing you another year of good luck and good health.

Monica said...

Absolutely lovely. What a nice gesture!