Friday 5 September 2008

Venus



again by Niki de St Phalle. I liked this immediately, love at first sight you could say. Studying the structure you can easily see that it's constructed from wool over a frame with various bits and bobs sewn all over it. The flowers and fruit possibly tie in with the concept of Venus, the feminine form, and the plastic cows stuck on the breasts, well, self explanatory; the cowboys, soldiers and other military plastic figures crawling over the shoulder, though, left me slightly puzzled but, still, perhaps they were what was at hand at the time...

10 comments:

Olivier said...

on dirait la rencontre de Niki de St Phalle avec les grosses femmes de Botero ;o))

Knoxville Girl said...

tres bizarre. but I like its whimsy.

Jilly said...

Am loving this series - particularly today's work. I agree with Olivier - rather along the lines of Botero in terms of large ladies!

Virginia said...

I thought it was moi for a moment! This is a strange one Angela. I am not in love at first sight but it might grow on me.

tut-tut said...

I love it; thanks for the wiki link. I didn't know much about her.

Sakiwi said...

She has quite a voluptuous figure, almost like a Renoir!

Louis la Vache said...

hehehe
For a moment there, "Louis" thought this was someone he had once seen in line at McDonald's....

Gretchen said...

Interesting take on Venus!

Jane Hards Photography said...

Bad hair day obviously

Jerez Sherry said...

It is amazing art, I like it too, must be fabulous close up.