Friday 5 December 2008

Sky Watch Friday


The sky looking North to the mountains: as you can see the bout of cold weather brought us lots of cold rain at lower altitudes and snow at around 800m which means that the small ski stations will have a good base of snow for Christmas..

I was also going to point out the contrails which are ever present in our skies as flights from Nice to Paris, I think, fly over our house. There was a lively discussion about contrails and how they're responsible for messing up the weather on a local forum which I was intending to link to but that's disappeared during the course of the forum's revamp. Being a Gemini I listen to both sides but not being a scientist I have no idea which side is right. Interestingly, though, as the sky filled up with the vapour trails it did actually rain later..

Check out all the other Sky Watch sites by clicking here...

15 comments:

Olivier said...

un paysage de rêve, surtout vu le temps ici.

Catherine said...

I live in the North of Paris, Angela. Not far from us there's Roissy-Charles de Gaulle Airport. Airplanes in the distance, are regularly waiting for landing. Since they pollute our atmosphere, I think I would have noted a change in our climate/weather.
But, really it's the same since many years.
I'm with Olivier. I envy you. Remind you : one blue day for one week greyness(and rain to go with)!

Linda said...

I've enjoyed discovering your blog and the sunny south. Yes, con trails are everywhere - for some reason I started doing Skywatch to post pictures of clouds but so far they've been of con trails!

Ruth said...

How nice to see clear blue skies and mountains. I like watching contrails and cannot see how they can mess up the weather. Weather systems are so much bigger than our biggest airplanes. But then, I am not a scientist either. Happy SWF!

the7msn said...

Hi, Angela. Thank you for following my blog. I have many contrails in my New Mexico sky - I particularly like watching them in the night sky, when the moonlight makes them glow. As long as I don't hear the jets that make them, we peacefully coexist.

The Good Life in Virginia said...

pretty shot with the pines and sky...thanks for sharing.

Kay said...

What a beautiful sky you have. Thank you for sharing your wonderful photo with us. I just love seeing photos from everywhere else. Have a great weekend.

Gretchen said...

Beautiful mountain scene.

magiceye said...

thats a lovely sky and interesting info about contrails and rain!

humanobserver said...

A neat and clean snap !

Anonymous said...

Wow
I am flying.

Tanya Breese said...

Snow! We haven't gotten any yet and the kids are so disappointed! A beautiful skywatch photo :)

Jill said...

Beautiful scene of the sky and mountains.

Hilda said...

Now I'm going to watch out for contrails — I've never noticed them here before.

Beautiful scene!

Jane Hards Photography said...

Perfect for me, just because of the location.