Wednesday 4 February 2009

Russian Cathedral: the Bells

While reorganising all my stuff on the computer I happened upon more photos of the Russian Cathedral that I'd intended to post and somehow never did. This tower houses a bell as you can see but it was the detailing round the top of the opening that really caught my eye. The colours are amazingly vibrant.

As you might expect the materials were some of the finest: the bricks were from England, the glazed tiles on the domes and the six crosses came from Italy. The domes themselves were coated with gold leaf and the mosaic icons on the facade were handpainted by Russian artists.

11 comments:

tut-tut said...

So much detail and intricate work on that building. I wonder who's up for that today.

alicesg said...

It is so beautiful. These buildings deserved to be preserved for their lovely workanship.

magiceye said...

this is lovely!

Olivier said...

c'est magnifique, la cloche et les mosaïques autour.

Catherine said...

Ignoring it's the Orthodox Cathedral of Nice, one could imagine it's an oriental building because of the color, the arch finely wrought, and the mosaic.

Unknown said...

Funny! When I saw it on the portal I thought it was an indian arch... Anyways, it's beautiful!

Jane Hards Photography said...

I am making a mental note of all the things I need to see when we eventually return. Some are new and some like this just remind me why I loev the place. The vibrant colours and the detail

Q. Are the sculptures of the jeans still on the prom. I took photos of those and sell them as postcards.

humanobserver said...

In stead of bell, I focussed my eye on the design above from the bell...It looks good.

Bhavesh Chhatbar said...

You have gone crazy about this Cathedral :) Anyone will; it's so beautiful.

Rob said...

Ornate and beautiful! Happy you found this and posted this cathedral's beauty.

Virginia said...

I just love it when I uncover a gem hidden in my iPhoto. ( That doesn't happen often)! This is just gorgeous. SOOO glad you posted it for us.
V